Welcome Sign - Home Improvement Blog
News Update
Loading...

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Welcome Sign

I made this Welcome sign using a birdcage graphic from  The Graphics Fairy, Citrasolv, a fence board that I aged and a piece of metal from Hobby Lobby.


I started with a fence board that my husband glued up.  I sanded it, but not too well.  You will see later that I should've sanded much better to get all of the glue off!

 I lightly applied Citrasolv (purchased at Whole Foods)  with a tissue until the graphic showed through.  I then used the back of a spoon to rub it into the wood.  (I've used Citrasolv on several projects and have found it to adhere most clearly when applying it lightly, then using the back of a spoon to rub it in) 



I rubbed apple cider vinegar on the board with steel wool.  It took two coats to look nice and aged.  You can see my original post about aging wood HERE.   You can see the light spots here where the vinegar would not adhere to the wood due to the glue spots.


I kept trying to sand those spots off, but it just wouldn't work, so what's a girl to do???  Turn the board over and try again!




My husband made a frame for it out of a fence board as well.




I added this metal "Welcome" piece I found at Hobby Lobby, but wanted it black, so painted it first.





I added hooks and wire to the back.

I screwed the Welcome piece onto the front and was done.


Thanks so much for coming by!  

Pam


I am linking to the following parties:




The Graphics Fairy

Share with your friends

Give us your opinion

Notification
This is just an example, you can fill it later with your own note.
Done