Cute Little Topiaries - Home Improvement Blog
News Update
Loading...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cute Little Topiaries



I love topiaries and had almost everything on hand to make some.  I have seen lots of blog posts on making them, so decided to try them myself.  It was a fun project.

I used the following materials:

  • terracotta pots

  • 2 1/2" styrofoam balls

  • 5/16" dowel

  • small block of styrofoam

  • bag of soft moss

  • bag of green moss

  • white paint

  • brown antique paint

  • glue gun and lots of glue sticks

  • foam brush


I started by painting the pots lightly with white paint,  then wiped some off using a damp paper towel.  I then applied some of the brown antique paint on very lightly.




I painted the dowels with the brown antique paint. I cut them to about 7".   I stuck the dowel into the center of the foam ball.  I added some hot glue in the hole to hold it.



I used the glue gun to apply hot glue in sections over the styrofoam ball.  I put the soft moss on it, using my hand to make sure it stuck.  (and tried to keep from burning the heck out of my hand)  :)  Once I got all of the moss on, I trimmed it a bit to make it into a ball shape.


 






 


I cut up pieces of the block of styrofoam and stuck it in the pot as tightly as I could. (This picture doesn't show the styrofoam wedged in the bottom of the pot, but it should)   I drizzled lots of hot glue in there to hold everything in place.  I then stuck the bottom of the dowel into the center.  


 
 I applied more glue, then stuck the green moss on top.





And here is the finished product.  I'm very happy with the way they turned out.  It was a messy project, but so satisfying!













Thanks so much for visiting and following my blog!





Share with your friends

Give us your opinion

Notification
This is just an example, you can fill it later with your own note.
Done