Italian Alphabet Tray

I am having fun with Citrasolv projects again this week!  I found this neat Italian alphabet graphic at The Graphics Fairy.
Photobucket


 

I flipped the image in Picnik by going to the Rotate Tab.


 
Did you notice that there is not a "J" or a "W" in this?  Hmmm....  :)



I used Citrasolv (purchased at Whole Foods). I put gloves on and did the project in the garage so it wouldn't smell up the house.




I taped the graphic to a pine board my husband had glued up for me.



Because this wood was very smooth, the graphic went onto the wood without any problems by just using a paper towel to apply the Citrasolv to the paper.  I still used the plastic tool to rub it, but almost didn't need to. The right side looks really smudged in these pictures, but doesn't look that bad in person.




 
I let the piece dry for a couple of hours so the graphic would be set in the wood.



I then applied Puritan Pine stain with a foam brush.  I wanted to stain it before assembling it so I wouldn't have any missed spots. 
 


You can see where the stain looks a little different in some spots.  I was ok with that because I wanted some 'character' on this piece.  With soft woods like this pine, to get an even application, you should first use a wood conditioner.  


 I stained the edges before they had the final cuts.  The one really long piece was cut to size once we put the piece together.







Some wood glue, a finish nailer and this framing contraption got it all into place.  If you don't have a framing contraption, you will be fine! 




I used a foam brush and applied this clear satin polyurethane to the whole piece. 


I let it dry for a couple of hours then attached the handles on the sides.



And here's the finished product:





Thanks so much for coming by.

Pam


I am linking to the following parties:



The Graphics Fairy





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Home Improvement Blog. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Click Bank Engine.