Beachy Clock





My husband made some tops for the wine barrel tables that I posted about last week. You can see that post HERE.   As neat as the tops were, they just didn't look right on the bases.  I stained them the same, but because the wood was different in some way, it didn't stain the same color. 




I used Minwax Provincial, then sanded it all down a little.  I kept trying to match the barrels, but it wasn't going to work...


 So I used the wine barrels without the tops and set his project off to the side....



The other night it came to me that the top would make a neat clock.  I had purchased a lot of 3" starfish on ebay a couple of years ago and thought it would be fun to use them instead of  numbers on the clock.







My biggest problem was finding clock hands that were big enough.  I bought some at Michael's, but they were sooo tiny that you could hardly see them.  After searching online and finding some possibilities, but not being thrilled with paying $3 for the hands and $6 for shipping (and then waiting several days for them to arrive!), I remembered that I had some clocks I wasn't using, and luckily, one of them had hands that were pretty big.  


Because the wood was stained such a dark color, I needed light clock hands.  I spray painted them a sand color.






My husband routed out a spot in the back for the movement (so it wouldn't stick out from the wall too far) and attached hooks and a wire for easy hanging.  We did all of this before attaching the starfish to the front.



I then laid out the starfish around the edge.  The starfish are somewhat uniform in size, but some are flat and some aren't, some have all five "fingers" (legs?) the same size and some don't...  I just tried to evenly space them around the board and realized that they wouldn't be 100% perfect, but that was ok.




I used Tacky Glue to attach them.  I like it because it dries clear and doesn't burn the skin off of my fingers like a hot glue gun.  :)







We then attached the clock hands to the movement and hung it on the wall.  It was a really fun and easy project.  (The light spot that shows up in the pictures pointing to the "6" on the clockface doesn't show up like that in person.)  
 


Thanks for your visit!

Pam


I am linking to the following parties:


 






vif187
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special http://www.thegrantlife.com/search/label/financial%20friday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Home Improvement Blog. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Click Bank Engine.